Oatmeal Pancakes
2 c. quick oats
½ c. flour
3 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 ½ c. buttermilk
2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
¼ c. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
add cinnamon, optional (I did)
2 c. quick oats
½ c. flour
3 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 ½ c. buttermilk
2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
¼ c. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
add cinnamon, optional (I did)
Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and let sit for 20-30 minutes, covered. Cook slowly on a griddle at 325°, or a little lower. The pancakes are easier to flip if they are not very big. Spray griddle before each batch. Let the pancake cook through on one side and then flip.
And to go with those pancakes, here's some Coconut Syrup.
Coconut Syrup
¾ c. buttermilk
1 c. sugar
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. coconut extract
Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a pot. Turn stove on medium and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add soda and flavoring. It will bubble up—just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the fizz to reduce before serving.
I made these for dinner last night and thought they were pretty good. Nate said they were like eating a bowl of oatmeal, except off of the griddle. I agree—they were really oatmeally. But they were filling and tasty. And Colin loved them. Feeding him oatmeal pancakes was much cleaner and easier than feeding him a bowl of oatmeal. I highly suggest making these for small children. Mine didn't taste so much like a bowl of oatmeal because of the yummy syrup. Nate didn't touch the syrup, but he doesn't like coconut so I didn't expect him to. I would tell you to try the syrup anyway, even if you don't like coconut because it was delicious and not too coconutty. Well, when I made it it was a little coconutty because I cut the recipe in half, all except for the coconut extract, but that was an accident. I guess that if you do want a little extra flavor go ahead and double up on the extract. It's very delicious. The recipe makes a lot, but they hold up well to refrigerating and reheating.
2 comments:
Ask Nate if he likes my Chicken Pot Pie. I don't think I've shared that one yet and it is very tasty. What about Chicken Spaghetti?
I love oatmeal, so I would probably like them. But I am a lazy cook, I like easy and fast so we use Bisquick for pancakes! I will try to post a recipe next week. I have a friend out here now so I will see if she has any good recipes to share.
Post a Comment